RE: here we go again

To: "'jim fuerstenberg'" <jimf42@rocketmail.com>,
Subject: RE: here we go again
From: "Kansa, Robert" <KansaR@diebold.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:39:26 -0400
The venolia's are forged.
What sticks in my mind, was that even though they did seem a little lean,
the #3 was ok, the piston tops of the others seemed ok. with no evidence of
hurt.
the plugs of #1,2,3 didnt look all that lean, and were a nice light brown
center with darker outside. but Something caused the situation in #4..and it
did indeed melt itself down.
i will be sending the piston back to venolia. i didnt just burn it, i Melted
the sucker!
but i will be putting together a new block this winter, with the Jim F
wire/head mod.
heres the questions....
i have 3 good .040 venolia's, short piston-to-pin height made for the decked
(1098 hieght) block, as are the good pushrods, etc. do i get 1 piston?, have
the block decked-.040 bored-and wire-ringed, or go with a more conventional
piston height setup?.
one will cost me allot more..I am sure venolia will most likely make me 1
piston.

One thing that came to mind... several people burned pistons in the cold
weather.  How many were running cast pistons as opposed to forged pistons.
Forged pistons hold up much better in lean detonation situations and thus
are
preferable in other than dead stock motors.

Jim