BHF weekend

To: "'Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net'" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: BHF weekend
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:43:51 -0500
Hey Yall,

Well, despite a number of mechanical difficulties by a number of folks, most
would agree it was a successful weekend. Many set new personal best lap
times as no matter how many a**holes oiled the track, it seemed to maintain
great grip all weekend, a testament to the clean up crews. Im thrilled with
the way that Redrum hooks up, goes where I point it, and never surprises me.
Thanks to corner workers, safety, and track crews.

Also, Id have to say, that the folks at Blackhawk Farms are continually
working to keep there place groomed & tidy, despite nearly 6 weeks of rain.
This is in marked contrast to the neglect and disrepair of Grattan which
used to look like a golf course, and over the last 3 years in particular has
really deteriorated...  not only the track, but the grounds and buildings as
well. Also, I must thank Cindy at BHF track management for aggressively
protecting a large amount of territory reserved for Thicko Village.

Some Thicko comments.

I am glad that many of you took advantage of reserved Thicko Village
parking. I think that Thicko drivers did themselves proud (ok, check Bernie
off that list for the time being). Support, crew and family were everywhere,
and those of us that race would have a far more difficult time without your
help.

I thought our animal sacrifices were some of the best ever. Man, we had all
sorts of things going on. Thanks to the grille team for keeping the fire
going, and the food hot. I only regret that you bastards ate most of it
before I had a chance to have some. Next time, someone set aside a Jethro
portion for Flounder, please?

Speaking of that, Id like to thank those of you that contributed food &
drink. However, I am always amazed that it is as rare as a legal Jahimiak
race car that people who dont bring something offer to cough up a cash
donation. Is it that it doesnt occur to people? I contributed $160 worth of
food. Others contribute far more than theyll consume. Do I need to put the
Thicko contribution oil pan on the end of the table? Im not sure what to
do, but there are some folks that step up every time with food, and others I
see with their pie hole stuffed, and have either never brought food, or
coughed up dead Presidents. The music is free (and youre paying for what
its worth), but the food costs real dough.

Thanks to Carl Braun, and Matt Primack for giving me some recent vinyl biz.
My financial situation is only gonna allow Grattan and ELVF at this rate. If
any of you need some vinyl work, whether it be race car, or real world,
please keep me in mind.

Thanks to I the P, Runaway Train,  and Biscuit for coming out to support the
racers and party. Glad to see Fast Eddie Haskels Lotus 7 out and fast.

I really was impressed with the yellow Group 6 Mustang that guy was drivin
the wheels off it. Also, it was nice to see the Excalibur, driven by Brooks
Stevens grandson.

Some VSCDA/event comments

VSCDA events consistently offer a better caliber of driving than most others
Ive run with. Also, we are very lucky to have so many great tracks to run.

Despite the weekend being one weekend after VIR, one weekend before Mosport,
and the same weekend as SVRA Mid-Ohio and the US Grand Prix at Indy, I
thought the turnout was great. The weather was great. Other than guys doing
dome things in race cars, or doing dumb things to the track surface with
broken motors while on the race line, the schedule was adhered to.

I fully support the mandatory drivers meeting with a wrist band to prove
the attendance that was used I suggest it be done at every event.
Unfortunately, it was not checked on the grid.

It was nice to see the vintage planes, but there was little or no effort to
coordinate drivers and pilots, cars and planes. Blackhawk has a pretty
unique facility in that regard, and making more of that would benefit the
event.

The last thing Id like to mention. track time and perceived value. If you
paid for = or full Friday practice, and also were small bore, you got a lot
of track time. But, if you werent small bore, and only paid for the
standard race entry, you got 2 sessions Sat., a 2 or 3 lap warmup Sun AM,
and the feature race for $275.

I still maintain that if the club is renting the track for 3 days, you
should make it a 3 day event. Some of you financial types might want to try
some projections, and see of you priced it as a 3 day event, vs. an optional
3rd day, if we dont come out ahead. If the club is happy with $225 (early
bird price) we could price the entire 3 days at say $260 to $290, all would
be happy with track time, and price the perceived value.

While I like taking advantage of the early bird discount when I can, it is a
policy that favors those who are better financially organized, shall we
say. I understand it might make administration and other planning a little
easier to have a more accurate head count earlier, but, they all have the
right to not show and get their money back anyway 3 days before the event. I
think that should be the cutoff for the early bird discount 3 days, not 3
weeks before the event.

Good even Alan, thanks.

WST

Flounder