Re: Convertible top part

To: Michael McBeth <mmcbeth@compusmart.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Convertible top part
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:15:00 -0400
Michael McBeth wrote:

> I am hoping someone on the list can help me with locating a rather
> obscure part for my '65 Tiger. What I need is referred to in the manual
> as a 'tension rod' for the convertible top (also the 'locking collar and
> spigot' part of the assembly would be nice altough my old ones may still
> be around). This chrome assembly is the little rod you plug into the
> front of the soft top to pull it toward the windshield. My driver side
> one broke when attepting to put up a brand new top which was installed a
> little too tight. I now have a brand new seven year old top which has
> never been up. It is mid July now and I assume that Summer is just
> around the corner here in Edmonton. I understand Summer was four days in
> the first week in August last year and I wouldn't want to miss it. Can
> anyone spare one off of a parts car, or does anybody make a repro?
>
> Thank you for your help
> Michael McBeth

Michael,

I had the same problem with the top on my '66 Tiger some years ago
except that I broke the passenger-side tensioning rod.  I solved the
problem by replacing the top frame.  Back then a (previously-owned)
frame was a little easier to come by.  Suggest that you look for a used
frame.  If you can't find one, I can fix you up with the left side of my
old frame.  I never throw anything away.  As far as I know, the part is
interchangeable between '65 and '66 Tigers.
--
Will Seay B382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com