Physics 101 and Tachs

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Physics 101 and Tachs
From: Mark W Olson <Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 12:54:00 PDT
All,

I'm working on a Smith's tach for a "cousin" (MG owner).  The PO had
lost the little U-shaped clip that holds the ignition wire loop (primary
winding) to the back of the tach.  So he/she fashioned a new clip out of
aluminum (or some other non-ferrous metal, the magnet didn't stick.)  I
assumed that I could make a new clip out of any ferrous metal (read soup
can lid.)  I did so, and the tach still didn't work, even with two turns
of the ignition wire.  Using my original clip, I did prove that the tach
does work.

I can't for the life of me understand why the soup can reproduction
won't work. So...

Do any of you know what material they made the original U-shaped clip
out of?

Can anyone explain why the soup can repro won't work?

Does anyone know of a material that can be used to reproduce?

Does anyone have a spare clip they'd like to give/sell to this guy?

Second topic.

There was another guy who was converting his S1 Alpine to a V6 and
wanted to use an electronic tach.  I was forced to plead ignorance and
admit that I don't know what types of tachs the various Alpines carried
(mechanical vs electronic, face interchangeability between electronic
and mechanical, positive vs negative ground, scales, red lines, etc.)

If anyone could fill me in on the details, I'd really appreciate it.
Pictures of the faces posted on either the Alpine or Tiger web sites
would also be nice.

Thanks,

Mark