Re: Physics 101 and Tachs

To: Mark W Olson <Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Physics 101 and Tachs
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:21:52 -0400
Mark W Olson wrote:

> All,
>
>I assumed that I could make a new clip out of any ferrous metal (read >soup
>can lid.)  I did so, and the tach still didn't work, even with two >turns of
>the ignition wire.
> I can't for the life of me understand why the soup can reproduction won't
>work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mark,

I think you've got it figured out.  You just need material with more
iron in it that a Tin-alloy soup can can provide.  If you've got an old
power or audio transformer lying around, stealing a laminate from it
will probably do the trick.  A discarded transistor radio or some other
otherwise worthless electronic device may contain the transformer you
need.  Stay away from RF transformers (they're usually in the Aluminum
cans)  Whatever iron they contain will likely be in a powdered form.

If your junk box won't yield the transformer you need, try Radio Shack.
They have lots of audio and power transformers.  Since this will give
you a choice, make your selection based on the cheapest transformer
which has a laminate cross section with the dimensions you need for the
tach.

Another thought.  Your local electronice weenie (Ham, computer nerd,
etc.) can probably help you out if you can explain what you need.  As
his junk box will likely be better stocked than yours, chances are you
can get the material you need for next to nothing.

Good luck.
--
Will Seay B382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com