SUNI AutoX - Tech

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: SUNI AutoX - Tech
From: SloMoIV@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:39:56 EST
netscott@earthlink.net writes:

<< I sent this to the suni web site and got this back.
 ---   Will helmets and/or rollbars be needed for the autocross?

 Just to verify what Jerome posted earlier:

Rollbars are not required for the SUNI autocross.  Helmets are required -
loaners will be available.

Also:

We expect tech inspection to be pretty easy to pass for everyone at SUNI.
The things you normally do to your Tiger, Alpine, Imp, Rapier, or any other
Sunbeam to make it safe on the street are probably enough to make it safe for
autocrossing.

The tech inspection will be very similar to any SCCA -sponsored autocross.
We'll be looking for functional seatbelts (mandatory), and working throttle
return springs (double springs recommended on Tigers).  No significant fluid
leaks.  Batteries must be properly secured.  The trunk, glove and cubby box
must be empty for racing.   Hubcaps and/or trim rings must be removed.

Stock wheels on Tigers: We haven't made the decision yet on whether to allow
Tigers to run on stock rims, which with age and stress can become
questionable for safety.  Suffice it for now to say that we highly discourage
running on stock rims, and recommend that those people affected make
arrangements for other wheels on race day.

Brake testing:  We will have each car accelerate to about 10mph, then (with
the drivers hands off the steering wheel) brake.  Your car should stop
quickly, in a reasonably straight line.

These, and any other inspection requirements that might be added, will be
posted shortly to the SUNI website.  If anyone has questions about their
particular Sunbeam, please email me.

Dick Sanders
SUNI III Tech Inspection
dsand95510@aol.com