Skinning a Cat

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Skinning a Cat
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:06:09 -0700

This story just proves that there is more than one way to skin a cat,
even if it's a Tiger!

The Tale:

A software engineer, hardware engineer and departmental manager were on
their way to a meeting in Switzerland. They were driving their Sunbeam
Tiger
over-crowded sports car down a steep mountain road when suddenly the
brakes failed.
The car careened  out of control, bouncing off guard rails until it
finally ground to a halt along
the mountainside.

The occupants of the car were unhurt, but they had a problem. They were
stuck halfway down the mountain in a car with no brakes.

"I know" said the manager. "Let's have a meeting, propose a Vision,
formulate a Mission Statement, define some Goals, and through a process
of Continuous Improvement, find a solution to the Critical Problems and
we'll be on our way."

"No," said the hardware engineer. "I've got my Swiss army knife with me.

I can strip down the car's braking system, isolate the fault, fix it,
and
we'll be on our way."

"Wait," said the software engineer. "Before we do anything, shouldn't we

push the car back to the top of the mountain and see if it happens
again?"

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/