Definate Tiger Content (longish....no, Wordy!)

To: "Tiger Owners" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Definate Tiger Content (longish....no, Wordy!)
From: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:20:53 -0700
Last weekend I finally took the time to remove and re-install my F4B intake
manifold in my Tiger.  All I can say is this: whatabitch!

Anyway, I believe I fulfilled my objective of correcting what I suspected
was an oil leak in number eight.  From the discoloration of the old manifold
gasket and the condition of the back of the intake valve, I have hopefully
solved my problem of fouling on number eight.  All of the other valves
appeared to have a bit of carbon on the valve stem except number eight which
was clean as a whistle.  Also, I noticed that it looked like the read cork
seal had failed as well.  It seemed to have been pushed out a bit toward the
rear.  This probably accounts for some of the oil on the drip pan in my
garage.  When I refitted with a FelPro competition gasket, I threw out the
cork and went with a bead of RTV (red) which seems to be holding just fine.
The real pain was torqueing the manifold.  Worst of it is, although the
directions said you don't need to re-torque, it is patently UNTRUE.  Each
bolt took about a quarter turn to get to 16 lbs after I let the engine heat
up and cool down.  I will make sure I re-torque again after a few hundred
miles.

Will check this weekend during the British Car Microbrewry Tour, but
initially it seems as though my gas mileage has improved a bit.  This makes
sense as several of you noted oil in the combustion chamber can diminish gas
mileage.  Let's hope this is the fix!  Now on to my original quest for your
opinions

The opposite of hot is?  Since I re-worked my cooling system, it seems to
work just fine.  Now I have somewhat of the opposite problem.  The car
RARELY if ever goes above the 180 degrees of the current thermostat.  Today
is a good example.  I took the Tiger to work today and cranked nearly 4 K
rpm at 70+ mph and did not get much above 180 at about 65 degrees ambient.
Summer is pretty much the same; maybe 190 at about 80 degrees ambient.  My
gut tells me that I should move up to a 190 degree thermostat.  Others have
advised against it.  But I recall the facts noted by Tom Hall, Dick Barker,
Bob Palmer and many others that the most efficient operating temp for a
FomoCo is 190-210.  Opinions?

TDC does NOT stand for Total Depravity Captured!  On reinstalling my Accel
dual point model 37201 (Yeah, I know....a Pertronics in a stock distributor
may be more reliable, but......) I am not really sure that I have got it
dialed in correctly.  To make matters worse, I lost the scrap of paper I had
the settings written down on.  Please note, my 260 is bored-out 30 over,
running a Motorsports cam, TRW pistons and a Holley double-pumper.
Accordingly, I need your advice on the following:

Timing (currently set at about 15 degrees BTDC)
Point Gap (currently set at about 0.15)
Dwell Angle (have not checked since I replaced the points and lost the
paper!)

Thanks in advance for your advice on these matters.  And if anyone can tell
me a better way to re-torque the rear ears of the intake manifold other than
without a torque wrench, I'd love to hear it!

Regards,

Allan
B9472373

Next project, on to the front end!  But drive some first, and FAST!