Dip and Flip

To: alpines@autox.team.net;, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Dip and Flip
From: Bill Gullatt <bgullatt@traveller.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:01:05 -0500 (CDT)
I have posted this before but will share again.

I use Redi Strip in Evansville, IN. The guys name is Dan Payne and they
advertise in Hemmings.  They are one of the only places in
the US that use an Alkalie process rather than an acid. The fist run the
body through a lite "HOT" bath to start the paint bubbling. Then they do
the alkalie process that works similar to the reverse of electro plating
(I think the charge is on the chemical and the ground on the body). After
this process they wash the bare body and spray a lite phosphate coating
on it. When you get it back it is bare metal, no rust, no metal where any
rust out was and a white chalky film (phosphate) on it. I have done 3
Sunbeams this way and never had a problem. You won't get
any weeping seams if you use a good alkalie dipper.

We have a nice rotisserie for Mustangs but I chose the inexpensive route
for the Alpine. Get a soft sided 18 wheeler tire. Flip the body onto its
side on the tire. The soft tire gives rather than your sheet metal. I put
an eye bolt in a stud of my garage wall that I can put a saftey rope
through. It didn't really need the rope but I have small kids.

After working on the underside I lay the body on a dolly that I made from
an oak shipping pallet ($5 at LOWES) and some heavy duty casters ($20 ea).

Bill Gullatt
67 SV (still waiting on my engine)
Madison, AL