Age (again)

To: "Tiger Digest" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Age (again)
From: "Curt Bowland" <cbowland@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:58:54 -0600
Well lots of self examination by list subscribers.

Lets see, got my Tiger in June of 1971. I am the third owner and the car was
purchased new somewhere in CA. Interesting note, it came with a set of
Firestone Super Sport tires mounted on wide (Corvair?) wheels. I would imagine
the car was autocrossed by the original owner.

Over time I managed to aquire a good number of LAT optional items that are now
on the car. I autocrossed the car off and on until about 1979 when I began to
pursue Vintage Racing. Raced the car through about 1986 when I bought a Imp as
race costs with the Tiger were eating up some $$$. Raced exhibition with
Rosemary Smith prior to Suni in 1994.

Quit racing in 1998, well almost quit. Now that I have retired I got the itch
to race just a bit more. Last year attended a VSCDA driver school and got my
license back. Managed to attend the Sunbeam Reunion at Mid Ohio where there
was a good turnout of Tigers and Alpines. A lot of hard work on the part of
Steve Silverstein made for a great event. Probably the high point of the event
was meeting up and running with John Sybrandt from Georgia. Both John and I
went to the same high school here in the Chicago area. Other racing friends
like the Byrds from Virginia with their strong Tiger,Tom Erhart, Doug
Jennings, and John Webber also made for a wonderful weekend. Finished up the
year with the fall VSCDA event at Elkhart Lake where the weather was superb.
All of this recent activity would not have been possible without the help of
my good friend and fellow racer and Tiger owner Larry Marzano. The car never
ran better. I now tell people the car is still fast and the driver is slower!

I figure at age 66 I am fortunate beyond belief. Think like many that younger
people are needed for the Tigers and Alpines to remain a strong presence. Keep
the faith.

Regards to listers,

 Curt Bowland