Re: [Tigers] Drop Spindles

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Drop Spindles
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:42:33 -0600
"Lowering a car by shortening the springs will affect bump steer.  Using the
drop spindles with stock height springs (and stock A-arm mounting points)
will
not alter bump steer characteristics."

I have no experience with drop spindles on a Tiger, but I have run them on
other projects in past years. I agree with Jim's last statement about them not
affecting geometry. Since the CL of the "axle" is affectively just higher on
the hub,(resulting in a lower front end) there shouldn't be any change in bump
steer since the actual suspension characteristics remain unchanged. All you
are really changing would be like locating the tires higher in the fender
opening,  and the rest of the chassis is in its natural state if you changed
nothing else. The only thing that gets compromised is ground clearance and
suspension travel /clear distance of movement to the body. So unless your
tires hit your fenders or the loss of clearance caused rubbing somewhere, the
car should ride and drive exactly the same...well maybe except the CG might be
a bit lower...which is usually a good thing!

So, I'll ask the question...how much does it cost to get a set from one of you
guys who has them? Not sure how bad I want them, but every car I've ever owned
looked better to me about 3/4" lower to the ground....( I'm sure I will
encounter some resistance with that statement, but I've had quite a few
"slightly lowered" cars.....like ....10 at least, so I'm not ignorant on it,
just curious about cost.)

Thanks!

Cullen
'1452