Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

To: Andy Walker <awtiger@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 03:58:16 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Hi Andy,
I have 3.31 gears in my Tiger. At 70 mph in direct drive (4th in the toploader
or the t5) it turns about 3500 rpm... Kinda busy and not great for mileage.
The T5 has a 0.67 overdrive and that takes care of things.
Others have already pointed to Bob's calculator; it will let you play with all
the numbers. If you want to make a change then 3.07 is probably the better
compromise.
 Theo

On 2013-08-06, at 9:44 PM, "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net> wrote:

> Hey, guys:
>

> I've got a question for some of the more mathematically proficient in the
> group.  I'm considering making some changes to my Tiger pertaining to the
> rear end gear ratio.  Can anyone tell me how to figure what kind of rpm
> difference there would be at, say 70 mph, between a Tiger equipped with a
> stock 2.88:1 rear end and one equipped with first a 3:07.1 and then a
3:31.1
> rear gear?  Surely there's a formula out there that can figure that.  Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?
>

> The bottom line here is that I need something that will get my car off the
> line a bit quicker without completely destroying my highway cruising
> capabilities.  I currently am running an Edelbrock F4B and a Holley 465 cfm
> carb, a hydraulic version of the old Ford hi-po cam, and 13" LAT 70s with
> 185/70 tires.  The car currently has a 2:88.1 rear gear and that makes it a
> bit sluggish off the line.  I've heard it said that a 3.07:1 gear was about
> ideal for a stock Tiger, but with the cam and carburation my car has, would
> a 3.31:1 be a better alternative?
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Andy Walker
>
> Edmond, OK
>
> B382001600LRXFE
>
> TAC #740
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/theo.smit@dynastream.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.