Re: [Tigers] Front suspension

To: Lance Beauchamp <blance598@gmail.com>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Front suspension
From: GARY WINBLAD <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:41:22 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_1023397_1520154408.1633099282058

Lance,
There are a couple more expensive solutions that might be still available.
Dale did design and make an entire front crossmember/suspension.  It fixed the
geometry but was about $5K
last I heard, and he might have stopped making them.
People (mostly in EU) have put in electric power steering.  It mounts up under
the dash so it all looks stock,
would be great in a parking lot or tight course.  Others have put in
conventional hydraulic power steering.
Shelby had his guys put in a Miata power rack in his wife's Tiger for instance.
Gary

>     On 10/01/2021 9:36 AM Lance Beauchamp <blance598@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>     So it is what it is, end of story, thank very much for a really good
> explanation,  still love the car. Beau
>
>     On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 10:13 PM GARY WINBLAD <garywinblad@comcast.net
> mailto:garywinblad@comcast.net > wrote:
>
>         > >         HI Lance,
> >         Steering geometry is a real problem.  Shelby throwing the rack way
> > out in front of the engine was a quick solution.
> >         Rootes didn't want to change a Shelby design... so we suffer today.
> >  Doane knew it was a problem but he thought
> >         Rootes would build a new crossmember.
> >         The problem is when you go around a corner, the inside wheel needs
> > to run a smaller radius turn than the outside.
> >         Toe in on turns or Ackerman geometry is what it is called.   The
> > Tiger has reverse Ackerman, the inner wheel turns
> >         a larger radius!  When I used to push my Tiger out to my slightly
> > downhill driveway it was easier to turn the wheel
> >         full lock than to reach down and pull the parking brake... what a
> > great design Shelby!
> >         On a tight autocross course or a parking lot this is really less
> > than ideal...  MIKE analysis??
> >         On a big course it might not make such a difference though Jim
> > Adams said he had to "toss the Tiger like a sprint
> >         car"  (keeping it jumping and sliding rather than be smooth.. I
> > hear that as...).
> >
> >         Longer MGB steering arms and initial toe-out is the small solution
> > Dale has...
> >         You may notice, its hard to turn the wheel at slow speeds,
> > especially with big sticky tires.
> >         But once you go into a fairly tight turn, it becomes easier as both
> > tires lose contact.. and the Tiger goes straight
> >         off the corner...
> >
> >         Mike, do I have it anywhere correct?
> >         Gary W.
> >

> >             > > >             On 09/30/2021 9:55 PM Lance Beauchamp
> > <blance598@gmail.com mailto:blance598@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >

> > >             You say you spend alot of time on suspension Gary, can you
> > > tell me how to make the Tiger easier to turn at lower speeds, like 15 mph
> > > or under. I always  blame the steering  geometry,  is it all that?  Beau
> > >
> > >         > >
> >     >

------=_Part_1023397_1520154408.1633099282058

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
   Lance,
   &nbsp;There are a couple more expensive solutions that might be still
available.
   Dale did design and make an entire front crossmember/suspension.&nbsp; It
fixed the geometry but was about $5K
   last I heard, and he might have stopped making them.
   People (mostly in EU) have put in electric power steering.&nbsp; It mounts
up under the dash so it all looks stock,
   would be great in a parking lot or tight course.&nbsp; Others have put in