Re: [Tigers] Front suspension

To: Michael Wood <mwood24020@aol.com>, "blance598@gmail.com" <blance598@gmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Front suspension
From: GARY WINBLAD <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_65595_1327043134.1633105405955

Mike,
Thanks for your expert analysis!
Yes, I never did find what Ackerman is best either..  I heard Doane speak and
he said the reverse Ackerman is actually an advantage when you are
countersteering (what I think he meant).  I wrote a program to figure out how
it works on the Tiger.  Turns out Ackerman is not really that bad until
you get to pretty extreme steering angles, so on a big track it isn't really
that bad.  And with initial toe-out dialed in it might not be that bad on a
really
tight course.  And because of the fulcrum pin issue, I NEVER go full lock
anymore, even parking.
Yeah camber... why did the lowered a-arm trick seem to work back in the day but
isn't used anymore?  The GT-350s I have looked at still have it.
I know it was bad for braking but so is initial negative camber?
Heavy steering, why I left my big stock steering wheel.
Gary

>     On 10/01/2021 11:54 AM Michael Wood <mwood24020@aol.com> wrote:
>

>     Gary, I think you nailed it, reverse Ackermann leads to some funky slip
> angles and strangely heavy steering, particularly felt at low speeds...the
> front tires are literally fighting each other. The fact we all typically add
> wider wheels makes the steering even heavier (both contact patch to move
> around and scrub radius). Finally, maxing out caster with wedges (which I do)
> makes it even worse!
>     The longer MG steering arms help, I've found on cars I've driven so
> equipped, but I haven't bothered to do on my car. Toe out changes the slip
> angle and also helps get the car to turn in, but I only go to toe out (1/4")
> when autocrossing, as toe out also is a great way to kill tires. Besides the
> poor camber curve, Ackerman is another reason why I run as much negative
> camber as possible...if the outside wheel isn't technically aligned to the
> turn radius correctly, at least I can maximize the unaligned contact patch in
> roll lol. Funny thing, even the real experts I've read can't seem to agree on
> "Ackermann", because there are so many other variables.
>     I don't know, outside of a custom solution like Dale's or Hokanson's
> front ends, of a real fix. I've just learned to live with heavy steering, but
> if it really is a problem, going to stock width wheels and smaller section
> width tires really makes a difference. The electric power steering solution
> has gotten to be a pretty easy deal, but that obviously does nothing to
> address the underlying geometry issues.
>     Mike

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
   Mike,
   Thanks for your expert analysis!
   Yes, I never did find what Ackerman is best either..&nbsp; I heard Doane
speak and he said the reverse Ackerman is actually an advantage when you are
   countersteering (what I think he meant).&nbsp; I wrote a program to figure
out how it works on the Tiger.&nbsp; Turns out Ackerman is not really that bad
until
   you get to pretty extreme steering angles, so on a big track it isn't really
that bad.&nbsp; And with initial toe-out dialed in it might not be that bad on
a really
   tight course.&nbsp; And because of the fulcrum pin issue, I NEVER go full
lock anymore, even parking.
   Yeah camber... why did the lowered a-arm trick seem to work back in the day
but isn't used anymore?&nbsp; The GT-350s I have looked at still have it.
   I know it was bad for braking but so is initial negative camber?
   Heavy steering, why I left my big stock steering wheel.
   Gary
     Gary, I think you nailed it, reverse Ackermann leads to some funky slip
angles and strangely heavy steering, particularly felt at low speeds...the
front tires are literally fighting each other. The fact we all typically add
wider wheels makes the steering even heavier (both contact patch to move around
and scrub radius). Finally, maxing out caster with wedges (which I do) makes it
even worse!&nbsp;
color: black;">
[...]
gotten to be a pretty easy&nbsp;deal, but that obviously does nothing to
address the underlying geometry issues.
color: black;">
     Mike
&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;
       Lance,
       &nbsp;There are a couple more expensive solutions that might be still
available.
       Dale did design and make an entire front crossmember/suspension.&nbsp;
It fixed the geometry but was about $5K
       last I heard, and he might have stopped making them.
       People (mostly in EU) have put in electric power steering.&nbsp; It
mounts up under the dash so it all looks stock,
       would be great in a parking lot or tight course.&nbsp; Others have put