Re: Gasket Paper?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket Paper?
From: guido711@ix.netcom.com (Ed De Reyes)
From: dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca (David Brock)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 01:49:13 -0700

--
>dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca  <David M Brock>
>The University of Western Ontario

>I'm not going to bother with a .sig file for now.

David:

Gasket material is ungodly inexpensive, and available from just about
any auto parts store.  It also comes in many different thicknesses, so
matching the right size shouldn't be a problem.

I just bought a roll of gasket material, 12"X 60" for about $2.00 US,
at my local auto parts store.

One other hint:  If you have the old gasket, or a reasonable facsimile,
take it to a place where you can scan it into a picture file on the
computer.  Take that picture file and use a paint/publishing software
package to fill in any damaged parts of the gasket.  This will be your
template in the future.  I recommend that you print this out on a laser
printer on regular paper, and you can use this to cut the gasket that
you need.

A friend of mine works at a print shop that can print just about
anything on a laser-type printer, so I took the file to him, along with
a sheet of gasket material.  He printed 6 of the same gaskets on the
material that I gave him, and I took it home and cut the holes that I
needed.  They worked great!

I am in the process of buying a flat-bed scanner so that I can scan my
own papaer gaskets....alas, one day, maybe I can find a printer that
will print metal gaskets (like the ones used as head gaskets).

Let me know if you need more info on this process!

Guido