Re: TR6 Rear End ?'s

To: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear End ?'s
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 18:48:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott Paisley writes:
>Mike Ladwig writes:
>
> > Things that can be wrong with the TR6 rear end:
>
>Nice colletion of rear end TR6 goodies...
>[some deleted]
>>
> > 2. Sliding joints (middle of the axle) can have some slop.  This one can be
> > figured out best by twisting the axle on either side.
>
>I've never heard of this on, it would be rare IMO.

Yeah, that was my opinion before it happened to me...:-(.

It is fairly hard to acquire this condition, but if you want it for your
collection of fun repair jobs (as I was eager to), it can be quickly
induced by having rotted "bellows" rubber boots over the sliding joints.
Apparently, it only takes a bit of dirt, crud, and water to cause damage
here.

> > 3. Hub bearings.  Jack up each side, grab the tire top and bottom - wiggle.
> > If you feel something move, that's bad.
>
>IMO, this is very likely your problem.  However, they are adjustable.
>If you determine that they are bad, remove the axle through the
>trailing arm, and take it to a local british car shop.  I had mine
>adjusted for $25!!!  Sometime they can't be adjusted, and you'll need
>to order a rebuilt one.  They can be had from TRF, but are pricey,
>over $200. (!!!) There is a sleave inside the hub which crushes when
>adjusting.  Once it's completely crushed, time for new parts!

Be real confident in the skill level of the shop you have do any adjusting.
Overtightening the crush washer can cause spectacular failures (I've seen
the results of a couple and heard of others).

mike.