Re[3]: TR6 Rear End ?'s

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[3]: TR6 Rear End ?'s
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 08:48:00 -0400
Mike Ladwig:

>>>Listen for solid thunks on throttle transitions, especially down hill.

After driving the car for a bit last night I'm now not too sure about the
above. Of course, my paranoia level is increasing... <g> It's possible that
when the PO said he replaced U-joints he didn't replace them all.

>First, I may have described it poorly: wiggle means in directions that the
>wheel _isn't_ supposed to go (in and out or rocking).

I took a closer look at this last night. I could detect no vertical play in
the wheel; only horizontal. When turning the brake drum everything seemed
incredibly smooth - no roughness or anything (which, to my mind, would suggest
 bad bearings). After looking through the shop manuals I tend to believe that
I just need to get the bearing play adjusted. At least, that seems to be a
good place to start (as opposed to spending $249 from TRF for a rebuilt hub).
Before I do anything with it, though, I want to contact the local Triumph
club and see who they recommend for service. Something like this I don't feel
like tackling myself, and I want to be sure that whoever I take it to knows
what they're doing.

At the same time, I'm hearing so many clunks and rattles that I find I could
easily drive myself nuts trying to guess what part's going to fall off next!
<g> I think I'll just be sure to carry my cell phone with me at all times
when I take the car out.

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com