Re: TR-6 Mystery

To: willie d <wds@leland.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Mystery
From: rorr@eagle.wbm.ca (Rodney Orr)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 22:30:24 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 09:55 25-05-95 -0700, willie d wrote:
>Rodney, do you remember my e-mail so long ago?  Anyway, I disregarded
>your suggestion and decided
>to pursue the "electrical" route. I figured since my alternator was bad,
>and my spark was weak and the problem started around the time I shorted
>my system, the problem was electrical. I went
>ahead and replaced my alternator.  No luck. So maybe you are right, it is a
>vacuum leak. How do I check such a problem?

Sure Willie, I remember your problem.  Unfortunately, I can't add too much
more than what I'd said originally.  My problem was a blown gasket, but I
suppose anything else such as torn carb diaphrams, faulty vacuum advance or
retard capsules could also be the culprit.  If you get the Moss Motoring
newsletter, page 10 of the Winter 1993 issue discusses manifold gasket
leaks.  They also note these characteristics for vacuum leaks:  backfiring
on deceleration and rough idle.  In addition to replacing the gasket, new
lock washers also helped them.  Finally, they had the manifold surface
resurfaced to cure a bad warp - they'd blown 3 gaskets over just a few months.

Hope that helps.  I'm no mechanic - just someone still paying my tuition
towards a carefree TR6.

Rod.
- - - - -
Rodney Orr