Re: Robbins phone no.? Yes! (fwd)

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Robbins phone no.? Yes! (fwd)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 12:25:37 -0900 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Sharon Oblinger wrote:

> ...Robbins Auto Top Co....
> manufacturer and they DO install on that site.....

Question: does anyone know (or can anyone speculate as to) why
Robbins/BEATTCO does NOT install the snaps on, say, later Spitfire tops?
I understand why they might not install fasteners on tops for MG TDs or
TR2s, as these cars tended to be somewhat more coachbuilt and there
might be some variation of placement for snaps on the body, but it seems
to me that the later cars were rather more consistently made. Back in
the early 1970s when I bought an AMCO top for my Spitfire Mk. 3, the
snaps across the rear tonneau area were installed on the top; I had no
problems with fitting. Is Robbins doing us some sort of favor, saving us
about $1.00 in purchase price (more than balanced out by increased
installation time) or are they just covering themselves (pun not
completely unintentional)?

At least they do supply the snaps...but no instructions for fitting
them, or the rest of the top to the car....sigh!

I'm doing a friend's Mk.IV Spitfire this weekend, but what I thought
would be a 1-2 hr. job now looks more like 3-4 hrs.

Andy Mace