Q/X Minilite Identification?

To: Fine Fellow Scions <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Q/X Minilite Identification?
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 11:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow Lovers of English cars,
        I have the opportunity to purchase two sets of wheels, 6x13
Panasports and 6x13 Minilites.  I want to put some period wheels on the
Spit-6, so I thought the Minilites would be cooler than the 6x13 BWA
(italian) wheels I currently have on the car.
        Question, how do I know that the wheels are in fact Minilites and
not one of the many knock offs of the period?  They have straighter
spokes than the Panasports, unpolished edges, relatively thick and flat
mounting flanges.  The mounting holes are about 1" deep, with constant
inner diameter, hence the lug nuts have a long chrome shank and rely on
that shank for centering.  The metal is dark grey (oxidized), and there
are no dents or scratches.  I remember reading a GT-6+ brochure, and I noted
that the Minilite wheels were available in Aluminum or Magnesium alloys.
Is there a significant enough hardness/weight difference between the two
that I'd be able to tell with a pocket knife?  Combusting one of the
wheels is probably not an option.
        As a reference point, what does TRF or others get for NEW
PANASPORTS? How bout NEW MINILITES?  I'd like to know where to start $$
with this fellow.

        Any info would be appreciated.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6