Re: Harmonic Balancer needed?

To: jhassall@vt.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer needed?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 95 08:38:06 -0700
In message <199506060300.VAA00945@triumph.cs.utah.edu> J.C. Hassall writes:
> TR-4 net.gurus:  I have a TR-4 fan which has seen much better days.  Rather
> than spend $$$ for another, I thought that I'd replace it with an electric
> job.  I seem to recall that if the fan is removed, a harmonic balancer
> should be fitted to prevent the crank from self-destructing.  Any truth to
> this?  If so, what sources are there for a balancer?
>
> TIA

The harmonic balancer conversion is to allow the TR4 cylinder engine to rev
above 5000 RPM without breaking the crank at the base of the flywheel flange.
If you remove the fan, I do not think you need a harmonic dampener unless you
autocross the 4.

You can not mount the fan when a harmonic balancer is on the crank, nor can you
hand crank the engine (This will allow you to put in a new radiator core with no
center rods blocked off for increased cooling capability).  The kit comes with
an alloy water pump pully and a narroe fan belt.  You would need to hunt up a
narrow generator pully.

The kit is available from British Frame & engine.  Contact  Ken Gilanders at
818-443-0939

TeriAnn Wakeman              .sig closed for remodeling
twakeman@apple.com