Re: Harmonic Balancer needed?

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer needed?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 07:57:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, J.C. Hassall wrote:

> Rather than spend $$$ for another, I thought that I'd replace it with
> an electric job.  I seem to recall that if the fan is removed, a harmonic
> balancer should be fitted to prevent the crank from self-destructing.
> Any truth to this?  If so, what sources are there for a balancer?

        J.C.,

        There's little doubt that fitting a harmonic balancer will benefit
        your TR4. The electric fan and the harmonic balancer should run
        close to $400. That's based on the the cost of the harmonic bal-
        cer Kit from British Frame and engine ($225) and the cost of the
        electric fan  (approx $150.) from various sources (including JC
        Witney). Having fitted the an electric fan at one time to my
        TR4, let me tell you that your electtric system had better be in
        top shape because those fans draw A LOT of current. If you are
        determined, I would recommend converting from your TR4's generator
        to an alternator to provide sufficient power.

        This might point to just getting a new fan from Moss or whomever
        (with appropriate hardware). That was all that was really needed
        to cure your cooling problems. IT probably would be a lot more cost
        effective.

        Good luck,

        Greg Petrolati

        P.S. Here's the address for British Frame & Engine
                                    4831 Ryland Ave
                                    Temple City, CA 91780
                        Phone: (818) 443-0939

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois