'71 TR6 vac.advance/retard issues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '71 TR6 vac.advance/retard issues
From: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:32:09 -0500
Sorry if this has been addressed before - but I have a question regarding
the carb identification checklist in TRF's catalog.

First, for the '71, it's correct to have both vacuum advance and retard
units, right? Although the catalog shows these as being correct in the
Auto-ignition section, it says in the carb ID section that 'no vac.
fittings should be on top of the inner flange, since there's no vac.
advance on this model range' My car has both vac. advance and retard
running off the rear carb. This seems odd because even where the catalog
showed vacuum lines running to both advance and retard units, the advance
was run off the front carb. I don't have any evidence of holes on either
the top or bottom of the flange on the front carb. My car has an engine
number in the CC40000's, where as the comm. # is CC57267, so I think things
have been mixed and matched a bit.

I'm just curious what other people have - does anyone else have advance and
retard both off the rear carb. Also, what would be the pro's and con's of
having both fittings on the same carb. vs. different.

Yours curiously,

Pete