Re: '71 TR6 vac.advance/retard issues

To: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu
Subject: Re: '71 TR6 vac.advance/retard issues
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 95 16:16:25 EDT
>First, for the '71, it's correct to have both vacuum advance and retard
>units, right? Although the catalog shows these as being correct in the
>Auto-ignition section, it says in the carb ID section that 'no vac.
>fittings should be on top of the inner flange, since there's no vac.
>advance on this model range' My car has both vac. advance and retard
>running off the rear carb. This seems odd because even where the catalog
>showed vacuum lines running to both advance and retard units, the advance
>was run off the front carb. I don't have any evidence of holes on either
>the top or bottom of the flange on the front carb. My car has an engine
>number in the CC40000's, where as the comm. # is CC57267, so I think things
>have been mixed and matched a bit.

        You have an early engine, which came with both advance and retard.
It sounds like you have the '71 carbs, though (which makes things involving
emissions hookups easier), and the PO hooked the advance to the pipe on the
rear carb.  HOWEVER, check and see if the pipe on the rear carb actually
is drilled-through - some of the later carbs had advance fittings, but they
didn't connect to vacuum.  You may have a do-nothing advance (or the PO may
have drilled it through).

        Your engine sounds like it was from a '69 or TR250.  Both would have
had advance and retard.

        Check the tags on the carb.  They are the best determinator of
what you actually have.

        Also, don't count too heavily on information on year-end model
change-overs.  For example, my car has the horn relay even though it's a
Mar. '70, and they weren't supposed to show until '71.  Lots of running
changes were done.

        For the list: BTW, I talked to TRF yesterday.  I've had a hazard
flasher on order for 2+ years.  They're apparently trying to get someone
to remanufacture them, but no idea when this might happen.  I went to Pep
Boys and bought a $9 electronic flasher unit - should be fine except that
it won't attach to the bracket.  I already did this for the turn flasher, as
I could never get my new correct unit to work correctly, due to low voltage
at the flasher and too much resistance in the LH turn circuit.  Electronicly
timed flashers work wonderfully, and could care less about resistance or
low voltage.  Non-original, but they _work_.

        Also, does anyone know of a source for the early horn-surround?  (The
one without the ugly fake leather stitching.)  Mine is rather checked and
old, so I ordered the later one (the only one available from TRF), but
after seeing it I can't bring myself to install it.  This is the rubber
piece surrounding the horn-push.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com