Exhaust to manifold nuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust to manifold nuts
From: j.daley@umds.ac.uk (Julian Daley)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:00:28 +0100
My Spit 1500 has the annoying habit of loosening its exhaust to manifold nuts
when I'm not looking.  If I don't tighten them up every couple of weeks then
exhaust gas starts to blow past the copper gasket, ripping up the gasket and
suffocating me inside the car (I knew there must be a reason I dislike driving
with the top up !)

I made up a bracket to hold the exhaust to the back of the gear box, trying to
cut down the vibration between engine and exhaust.  I think 1500's
originally had these, but mine was missing and they are NLS from most
places. This cut the
service interval from days to weeks, but they still work loose

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix these nuts ?  I would guess that
locktight would not work at exhaust manifold temperatures.

Julian.
       | Julian Daley,                    j.daley@umds.ac.uk |
       | Department Clinical Physics, Guys Hospital, London. |