Re: TR6 Horn & Lube Question

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Horn & Lube Question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 14:30:26 -0900 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

> > Second, the Haynes manual says that I should have lube fittings on my
> > u-joints. How do I grease it?
>
> You may not be able to access the grease fittings with the car
> assembled.  This is how some people get the odd notion that British
> engineering leaves something to be desired.  People are funny that way.

In fairness, Greg, is it possible to install the U-joints in more than
one direction. It sounds as if they were "flipped" over before
installation, leaving the grease fitting pointing the wrong way. If I
recall correctly, the fitting should face more towards the axle, NOT
toward the hub (or flange). Or maybe it's the other way 'round; I can't
remember right now! Whichever is correct, it would leave (just) enough
room to get the grease gun to the grease fitting. Not that you'll
necessarily DRASTICALLY extend the life of your U-joints by being able
to grease them now and again, but it doesn't hurt!

Andy Mace, well-known for installing greaseable U-joints every which way,
including the right way!