Re: TR6 Horn & Lube Question

To: LCGMD@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Horn & Lube Question
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:08:35 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 12 Jun 1995 LCGMD@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Group - I made some nice progress this weekend toward becoming
> road-worthy, with the horns being a notable exception.  Is there any way to
> determine whether the problem is the horns or the relay?

Run direct power (+ and -) to the horns themselves.  They should sound
loudly.

> What is the purpose of the relay?
The purpose of the relay is to allow the switch wire which runs up
through the steering column to be a ground switched wire, as opposed to a
hot-all-the-time-non-fused-let's-start-a-fire wire.  When you push the
horn button, the contacts connect the purple/black wire to ground.  This
grounds out the coil winding in the horn relay, and the relay closes.
This "switching" inside the relay sends positive power up to the horns
themselves, which begin to beep.

> Second, the Haynes manual says that I should have lube fittings on my
> u-joints. How do I grease it?

You may not be able to access the grease fittings with the car
assembled.  This is how some people get the odd notion that British
engineering leaves something to be desired.  People are funny that way.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6