white stuff in Spitfire bonnet seams

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: white stuff in Spitfire bonnet seams
From: croned@rcinet.com (Dan Crone)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 00:48:20 -0400
My '75 Spit is too fun to drive to take off the road and refinish properly.
I've even comtemplated buying a second one to work on to appease my guilt
over not fixing the driven one properly.  Anyway, my question concerns some
white stuff in the seams on the side of spitfire, the ones that run more or
less parallel to the ground the length of the panel.  When I was doing some
body work, I noticed that the paint on both sides is cracked in the seam,
and there is some white stuff showing through.  Originally, I thought this
white stuff to be old wax, however, upon poking and scraping with a
screwdriver (there was some "surface rust" that needed repairing), the paint
flaked off, and some tough rubbery white stuff was revealed.  The stuff most
closely resembles bathroom caulking.  I'm wondering if this is some PO's
"better idea", or original to the Spitfire?  Another better idea of some PO
was the alignment of what appears to be perfectly good panel by applying a
1/4" layer of bondo.  !@#$.  Oh well, who can tell at 50 mph?

On a completely different subject, can anyone point me at a book or give me
directions on how to align the doors, or perhaps comment on how wide/even
the door gaps are on Spitfires.  I have a Haynes manual, which just about
says "loosen and adjust until satisfactory".  The door is about 1/4 to 1/2
from the lower sill but by the door handle its 1/8.