Re: TR6 Excessive toe in drivers side rear

To: rsmith@jog.syr.servtech.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Excessive toe in drivers side rear
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 09:55:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 14 Jun 1995 rsmith@jog.syr.servtech.com wrote:

> Could anyone help with problem i am experiencing with excessive
> toe in on drivers side rear tire. It's a 1973 TR6. Have looked
> for any visable frame damage or rust. None to be found. Have
> taken in to a couple of shops in the Syracuse N.Y. area with no
> luck whatsoever. Will say the Trailing arm does have 5 shims on
> both the inboard and outboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Randy Smith

By excessive toe I imagine you mean a large amount of TOE-IN.  From your
description, I would first suspect that the rear coil spring is tired.
Since this is the driver's side, this is a very common symptom.  Most of
the TR-6's on the road have this ailment.  Since you have a semi-trailing
arm setup, ride height, toe and camber are all interdependent.
The next thing I would look at is the frame straightness.  The Bentley
(and possibly the Haynes) manual give frame dimensions that are easy for
the homebody to check out with a tape measure and plumb bob.  At least
you can tell if the car's in the ballpark.

Have fun,
                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6