Re: Clonks

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Clonks
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 10:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:

> Just one problem (at the minute anyway), occassionallly when driving my
> Spitfire MKIV I here a funny sounding clonk(the best way I can describe it).
> thought that it may be the front dampers(shocks), so to test this, I opened
>the
> bonnet(hood) stood on top of the rocker box and bulkhead and then proceded to
> bounce the bloody car up and down(must have looked damn stupid) to try and
> reproduce the afforementioned 'clonk', alas no luck.
        I'd check carefully the front ball-joints, trunnions and mounting
points for both the A-arms and the shock towers.  Also make sure your
shock mount plates (on the top of the shocks) are solid and tight.  If
the sound is actually coming from the rear of the car, it's a whole
different beast.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6