Re: Sagging Spitfire

To: luchette@apple.com
Subject: Re: Sagging Spitfire
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 19:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995 luchette@apple.com wrote:

> Help, my spitfire is sagging and it can't get up. The car was sagging badly
> on the drivers side, causing some severe camber so I replaced the rear
> spring and this did bring the car up some but it still sit's lower on the
> drivers side.
>
> The shocks look fine, the front end of the car looks level. What's wrong
> and can this be fixed?

One thing to try which shouldn't take more than 20 minutes is to exchange
the front damper and spring assemblies.  This only requires that you jack
up the car, undo the three 7/16 head nuts on the shock tower, and the
5/8,11/16 lower shock bolt. (loosen the corresponding trunnion bolt for
ease of removal and installation).  After you exchange the shock and
spring assemblies, drive the car for a few miles to set the suspension
and see where you sit.  In much likelyhood, your problem will "disappear".

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6