[no subject]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
From: TLEAKE@novell.com@novell.com
Date: ,
        with Novell_GroupWise; Tue, 20 Jun 1995 13:48:44 -0600
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:51:04 -0600
From: TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
To: Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com, lti@mail.msen.com
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Veneer for dashboards -Reply

>>> <Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com> 06/20/95 10:03am >>>
        Why use a veneer at all, instead of just hardwood? Is it because
        you wanted the burl, which was only available in veneer?

Veneer over baltic birch or  apple ply will give you better dimensional
stability than a solid piece of wood.  That means the wood will not
change size and shape as readilywith temperature and humidity changes.
(just a point of reference solid stock can change width by as much as
1/8" per foot with variances in humidity, length generally does not change
much)    It also is considerably stronger,  I don't beilive this is a concern in
a  in a TR4.   TRF sells the a plywood veneer dash, and claims that this is
the original type and that it is superior.  Prestige Autowood sells solid
dashes.

>>Also, what did you use for a template for cutting holes? just
        the old dash?

I am contemplating doing a similar project for my TR 4A.   I intend to cut out
my material ( I have not decided whether I will use veneer) to a rough
shape slightly larger than the dash.  Then I will cut undersized holes in the
 wood for the guages.  Then I will use the old dash as a template and get
precise cuts with a router.  I will do the same for the dash door.

If you don't have a good router with the right selection of bits it is going to
be difficult to get a dash that looks good.

My dash is warp so much that the edges are distorted, and will not be a
good template, anyone have a old 4A dash I can use for a template ?  I
might even consider making one for someone willing to send me a good
template.

Another point I would make about finishes is that whatever is used make
sure it has UV absorbers or it wont last long in the sun.

Tom Leake
Opinions expressed do not reflect those of my employer.