Re: Veneer or solid?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Veneer or solid?
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:42:30 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andy
        This is a tricky one.  I agree with you about using external
quality plywood, especially birch.  Our dashboards on our LBC's
experience conditions only second to boat consoles!  So, a good
foundation for veneer is required.  Also, using one piece of wood would
be fine if it could be guaranteed not to split, warp, etc. etc.
Unfortunately, wood is not a constant material, and anything can happen
unless it's a piece that has been in someone's back yard for ten years
and hasn't changed shape at all!!!

> >     Why use a veneer at all, instead of just hardwood? Is it because
> >     you wanted the burl, which was only available in veneer?
>
> OK, I'm willing to put my foot in my mouth on this one! ;-)
>
> Seems to me a high-quality marine plywood, with a properly applied
> veneer, would be much more stable -- less prone to warping, splitting,
> etc. -- than would a solid piece of hardwood.

Nick D. Benson
Woodlabs Technician
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University