RE: Looking for moral support

Subject: RE: Looking for moral support
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 95 08:53:00 CDT
Encoding: 32 TEXT
Scott,

> Does anyone out there definitely *know* that readings on the pressure
gauge
> of 10 to 20psi when hot at 800 rpm idle are dangerous?  My experience says
> they aren't.

I drove my TR6 several thousand miles with (hot) 10 psi @ idle and 30 psi @
2K.  The bearings were all worn when I rebuilt the motor, but no damage had
been done, and it didn't require much machining.  I think as long as you
keep a tired engine cool and don't push it hard, it'll last quite a while
(IMHO).

> Secondly, has anyone had any good experiences with solid hardwood dashes?
>  Several years ago, I got a great looking solid teak dash for my TR4

I have an older solid cherry dash from TRF.  It's poorly finished, but I
haven't had any trouble with it.  My car is garaged 99% of the time, though
(i.e., if it's not up on blocks in the garage, then it's broke down on the
road somewhere, and I'm trying to hustle a way to get it home...).

I've read that teak is one of the most stable woods; it resists cracking,
expansion, warping, and rot *extremely* well.  Where budget allows, it's a
preferred wood for many boating applications and lawn furniture, etc.  You
could put this in your car with *no* finish and leave it outside with the
top down year round, and this dash would still hold up marvelously (IMHO).

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville, A