Re: GT6 help, any 3:27s availible?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 help, any 3:27s availible?
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 14:38:08 -0400
        Thanks, I got lots of good responses.  First off about the overdrive
problem, Larry Snyder writes

++>Why not put a 3.27:1 rear end in the Spit6? That would make it driveable on
++>the highway, and once you got the O/D gearbox, you would have a *very* nice
++>highway cruiser. A friend here in St. Louis put a 3.27:1 in his O/D MkIII

        After much worry,  I decided this would be the best short term route
to go.  The 3:27 rear end and the 3:89 w/overdrive result in approximately the
same
top gear ratios, and the 3:89 that is currently in place is howling pretty
badly. If I
could have my way, I'd still prefer the 3:89 diff because it  is supposed to be
stronger and there is a limited slip availible for it (aside from the obvious
performance gain of lower available gear ratios).  The big question is, can I
get
a 3:27 rear end in short order? Anyboday have any leads?  Kipping might be able
to come through on this one, I have to call back tomorrow.

        Chris Kantarjiev asks;

++> GT6+. But are you sure you want to do all that work just before a long
+trip? If
++> it's running well, I'd leave the mechanicals alone...

        Thats a very good question.  Definitely, the rear end needs to be
replaced
and I should replace the syncros (and of course the always bad layshaft) in the
trans,
but the engine does run quite well.  I have already rebuilt the head,
induction, exhaust,
and cooling system.  The only problem seems to be that the rings aren't sealing
well.
It is using a fair amount of oil (qt every 500 miles) and there is enough
blowby, that
the crankcase breathing system is overtaxed.  The rear end of the car near the
tailpipe gets pretty sooty.  I guess the most compelling reason to do the
engine work
is that the car is going to be used as a daily driver and  I can't stand the
thought of
polluting that much.  Perhaps I can get by with honing the cylinders and
replacing
the rings, bearings, timing chain, and timing gears.

        Johnmowog (name?) and Greg, who doesn't know anything about cars, Meboe
both comment about licensing the car in California

++> How do you plan to smog this car when you get to Calif?  I'd be

++> by the way, bring that car into california, be SURE to title it as a 71 , as
++> a 79 you have NO chance of getting it through smog and registration!

        I was planning to leave the car registered in Michigan as long as I
own it and I still live here.  I know that is probably a favorable
interpretation
of the rules, but It will have to do for now.  When I get out there, I'm going
to try
get the thing titled as a 71, but the spitfire shell is a 79 model, and they
might not buy it.  I do have pictures of the stripped and painted shell. So, I
think I can
make a pretty convincing argument that the car is all GT6 except for the
passenger
compartment shell, and that was only changed so that the resulting car was a
convertible.  I have used the GT6 VIN numbers and it is currently tiltled as a
71.
 If it doesn't pass, I guess I'll have to sell it :(.

        Flemming Larson asks

++> Great news! Have you picked a place to live yet?

        Yes and no.  Cait wants to live in San Francisco, but I don't know how
long
either of us can put up with the crowd and the costs.  Our long range plan is
to move onto a boat (Pearson 424 maybe).  I'd say we'll be in the city for 6
months to
a year.

        So, who is going to volunteer to drive this car every once and a while?
promise I won't hold anybody responsible when the engine melts down...
--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI