Anyone ever relace a wire wheel?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Anyone ever relace a wire wheel?
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 01:40:50 -0400
I've got a friend, who recently did some work truing up a particularly nasty
wire wheel on his TR-6.  I talked with him about it, and he said truthfully,
he thinks it would have been much easier to just cut all the spokes out and
start fresh.  He said he'd help if I decided to do it.

Now, I know many people will consider this foolish to even attempt, but if
that guy could do it, why couldn't I?  (perhaps this another example of a
mechanical engineer thinking he can fix anything.)

I was all ready to go on with the experiment.  I had a very crappy wire wheel
and cut out all the spokes.  That was fun.  Then I figured I'd order all the
spokes and nipples from British Wire Wheel.  Give it a try, and if it didn't
work out, there is a motorcycle shop here in town that swears they can true
the wheels as long as the spokes are not frozen with rust.

Either way I'd learn how hard it is, and know whats the best solution in the
future.  Then the guy at BWW disuaded me.  Told me is was more of an art and
that it takes the "professionals" who work for him a hundred wheels or so to
get the hang of it.

So . . . is this BS or not?  It really doesn't look that terribly hard if you
are starting from scratch.  I know nothing is as easy as it seems, but I just
gotta know.

Any Net wisdom?

Scott Tilton
Being foolish in Richmond again