Re: Anyone ever relace a wire wheel?

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anyone ever relace a wire wheel?
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 06:51:19 EDT
I've enver done it on a car wheel, but in my serious
bicycling days, I've built lots of wheels.  BWW is
right that there's an art to it; but I'd guess that
its possible to do if you've got enough time.  Make
sure that you get the lacing pattern right - a lot
of the strneght of the wheel comes from the way that
the spokes are laced and crossed over each other.
When you true them up, you'll need some way to measure
runout and concentricity.  Also make sure that the
spokes are adequately tensioned.  None of this is
conceptually hard, its just a bit painstaking.  If
you're careful and meticulous, it should be possible
to do yourself.  In fact, it might even be a good
idea to build a bicycle wheel as practice...

cheers,
John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU