Re: Harmonic Dampener? (and dynamo woes)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harmonic Dampener? (and dynamo woes)
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:44:48 +0000 (GMT)
hi

TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com> wrote:

> The crank of the TR2-4A engine does not come with a harmonic dampener
> like most engines.  The harmonics are such that the cranks have been
> known to break at the base of the flywheel flange if you spend much
> rime over 5000 RPM.  The factory race & rally cars that used this
> engine were redlined at 5000 RPM.  Balancing helped, and nitriding the
> crank helped more, but the destructive harmonics were still there.  A
> few years ago some people (I believe from Racestorations Ltd in the
> UK) got access to the BL crank harmonic test records.  They compaired
> the TR's crank harmonics with those from other cars and found a match
> in an older MG.  That MG came with a dampener to decrease the crank
> harmonics.

I attended a talk by Graham Robson (the Triumph factory race
manager & author) earlier this year and he said that the factory broke one
crank and then decided to redline the race engines at 5000, so the 5000 rpm
limit is somewhat of a myth. Mind you, I think thats what he said
and if your engine blows ....

For what its worth, Racetorations know what they're doing & have prepared
a number of successful TR race cars.

> Frankly I wouldn't bother with a harmonic dampener unless you plan to rev
> over 5000 RPM.
> (discussion of Racetorations dampener kit).

Thats about what Robson said too.

Meanwhile: the dynamo control box on my TR4 is still "sticky", the ignition
light is reluctant to go out [ie: relay engages dynamo ]. The dynamo
seems to be producing a hefty charge. Adjusting the control box makes no
difference. Any clues?

Regards, Adrian + TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk