Re: Choice of car trailers

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Choice of car trailers
From: "Chris Bullock" <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 95 8:04:57 PST
Encoding: 28 TEXT
Mark Gendron wrote:

>If you ever need to trailer a classic car, I highly recommend the Ryder
>trailers. Unlike a tow dolly, or a U-Haul car trailer, the Ryder trailers have
>a completely enclosed bed, which will catch any valuable parts which fall off.
>This is an issue if you are trailering a partially-assembled car. I recently
>hauled my TR2 from Philadelphia to Seattle, which offered ample opportunity
for
>many parts to vibrate loose. Several of these pieces (including both doors)
>fell off in transit, and simply landed on the trailer bed, where I could
>retrieve them. Had I used a tow dolly or a U-Haul trailer (which is open in
the
>middle), I would have lost these parts.

This sounds great to me, but I just helped a friend trailer two Sunbeam Alpines
and Ryder really didn't want to talk to us unless we were going to use one
of their trucks to trailer it.  We used U-Haul (what a pain - that's a whole
different story!) because they were the only ones to allow pulling their
auto
transports with our own vehicles.  Did you rent a truck to pull it with?

I am about to retrieve a TR6, so I'm going to give Ryder another call.  In
Vermont, you need about 2 weeks lead time to get one of those up here!

Chris Bullock
1973 TR6  CF389U (For Sale)