Clutch....NOT AGAIN! (longish)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch....NOT AGAIN! (longish)
From: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark )
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 21:35:11 -0800
Hi All,

After spending the weekend (ok, maybe two) in the garage replacing
axles, joint, etc,  I took my 1500 for a quick spin to get the
suspension 'settled' so I could check  the transmission fluid level.
It was low, of course, but not low enough to keep the OD from working.

Well anyway, what I am trying to get at it this:  About one or two day
before my rear axel bearing went from a slight rumble to a very
pronounced CLUNK (they looked like dimes on a railroad track) My clutch
started some major slipping.  Not the gradual slip like I am used to
just a flat out slip. I could be in 4th w/the on engaged hit the pedal
and rpms shoot up to 4k but no acceleration.

Maybe some of you can see where I am going and I am sure Greg M. will
get a kick out of this after my statement of disbelief about the Thrust
Washer the other day.  Well, in a state of complete denial, I reasoned
that , well never mind what I reasoned, the fact of the matter is the
the front half of my car didn't fix itself like I hoped it would while
I was working on its rear.

I have determined that it is NOT the thrust washer, thank God.  I
ruined the crank in my previous engine thanks the the trustworthy T/W!

There cannot be more than 5000 miles on the clutch, It is all Bosch
BTW.  I didn't smell the usual smells however I had the top down and
the trans cover off. This couldnt be anything in the OD or Diff could
it? BTW I didn't really notice any slip at the lower speeds.

I have a spare tranny and OD stored away, and I was thinking that If I
have to pull the transmission I might as well rebuild what I have
already pulled and just swap at the time I change the clutch since my
1500 is a daily driver and I could drive it a while longer If I had to.

I have never rebuilt a tranny before so I am kinda looking foward to
it.  Does any =one have any suggestions As far as "do's and dont's",
parts sources,  manuals (I cant find anyone that has any bently's left
in stock),etc.  Also what if the absolute BEST and most durable clutch
I can get so I won't have to F**K with for at least another 10K.  It
would be nice to use some of my funds to get the interior squared away!

Thanks in Advance!

David