Re: Clutch....NOT AGAIN! (longish)<199511030535.VAA28317@ix2.ix.netcom.

To: davcla@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Clutch....NOT AGAIN! (longish)<199511030535.VAA28317@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 1995 10:38:34 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Dave wrote:-

>Well anyway, what I am trying to get at it this:  About one or two day
>before my rear axel bearing went from a slight rumble to a very
>pronounced CLUNK (they looked like dimes on a railroad track) My clutch
>started some major slipping.  Not the gradual slip like I am used to
>just a flat out slip. I could be in 4th w/the on engaged hit the pedal
>and rpms shoot up to 4k but no acceleration.
{snip}
>There cannot be more than 5000 miles on the clutch, It is all Bosch
>BTW.  I didn't smell the usual smells however I had the top down and
>the trans cover off. This couldnt be anything in the OD or Diff could
>it? BTW I didn't really notice any slip at the lower speeds.

I have decoded the 'in 4th w/the on engaged' as meaning 'in overdrive' :-), so
to me it sounds as though your cone clutch in the your overdrive is slipping, do
you get the slip without being in O/D?  Before writing the O/D off as
knackered, try cleaning the filters, if the filter is full of stringy bits then
it looks as though the clutch is on the way out!!  If not, just clean out the
crap and refill with fresh oil and see what happens....You could also check the
adjustment on the solenoid part(I've forgtten the proper name, the bit the
solenoid 'pulls').  this is easily adjusted(atleast it is on a D-type O/D, not
sure about a J-type).

Rich - I trashed 3 D-type O/D's in 18 months before buying a recon - Jackson.
Northampton
England.