Spitfire overdrive

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire overdrive
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 11:46:54 +0100
Hi

I consider installing an overdrive in my Spitfire Mk3 to lower
the noise at highway speeds. One manual I have tell that I have to
move the gearbox/engine to install the overdrive, another says I don't,
which is true?. I believe I have to exchange the main shaft with a
'frictionless' type whatever that means.
Are these OD units mechanicly stable or am I asking for trouble
installing one?
I've read that one some models the switch is on the gearknob, while
on others it is installed with the other contacts, I believe that it
is most convenient to have it on the gearknob.

I appreciate any help, I am still a black hole for spitfire wisdom

 Thanks, Peter