Re: Headlamps<9511031136.ZM5336@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>

To: Chris Boston <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Headlamps<9511031136.ZM5336@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 1995 16:02:00 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Chris wrote:-

>Can any of you good folk recommend a GOOD set of replacement headlights and/or
>suggest the type of bulb/wattage I should be looking for.

Pop down to the local scrap yard and find a late(ish) Morris Marina, these I
believe are equipped with Lucas(Aaaarrghh Prince of Darkness, I spoke your
name) H4 halogen headlamps, these are then a straight swap for the useless
sealed beam units in the Spitfire(I must admit though, that mine are from a
Land Rover 90).  The bulb sizes can be changed then, although it is un-wise
to do so without incorporating a relay in the wiring somewhere, I have 95/105
watt bulbs(which I think are illegal) which are great, although I have NOT used
a relay, so my wiring under the dash gets VERY HOT with the headlights on. I
have also noticed that they are not as good as they once were which I suppose
is due to the wiring breaking down or something, like I said, don't change the
bulb sizes without using a relay, as I don't want the fact that someone elses
car burnt out on MY conscience(sp)  :-)

Rich
Northampton
England.