Tractor engine water pump

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tractor engine water pump
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 16:39:59 EST
This summer I had to replace the water pump on my 3A.  I started by ordering
the replacement water seal from VB and having the pump sealing surface
reground at a machine shop as the Bentley manual recommends (mine was all
pitted out so this made perfect sense).  The VB seal looked in all respects
to be an exact match for the original and I thought all was well.  I
reassembled the pump and installed it only to see that it still leaked - not
as much as the old one but a small steady drip nonetheless.  Frustrated, I
ordered a new pump and installed that instead and have had no further
problems.  Now though, I have a rebuilt pump that leaks.  My question - does
it just take a little time for a new water seal to "seat" itself?  This
doesn't make sense to me.

I also tried to purchase a rebuild kit from a Ferguson tractor dealer I
located in Florida.  After a few faxes and a couple of weeks they sent me a
quote for a new pump, something like $148 or so.  I can look it up if
anyone's really interested.  They never did offer a rebuild kit.

Allan McClure
'60 TR3A