Re: First tune up update <951107231243_100854187@mail02.mail

To: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: First tune up update <951107231243_100854187@mail02.mail.aol.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 07:56:17 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>GBSimcoe@aol.com said:
 > Now have it on the
 > money thanks to  someone on the list who told us that there was another way
 > to adjust the distributor other than the fine tuning bolt.

You're welcome :-)

 > Question #1- When setting points, is there a simpler way to get rubbing bloc
 > on the peak of the cam?  Must have "bumped"  the starter 100 times

Yes, do this: chock the front wheels, jack up one side of the back.  Parking
brake OFF, gearbox in gear.  I prefer the left side since it's the side
that the dizzy is on.  Now you can turn the engine over by turning the
left rear wheel.

 > about to give up when miraculously it stopped where it was supposed to--
 > maybe one of you sent up a prayer for me at that moment!
 > The fuel filter change was a bit exciting since I decided to ignore the
 > Bentley advice to clamp off the hose....

A #2 Phillips scredriver makes a fair plug...

 > from the top--- so what do you use to clamp off that little hose tight enoug
 > to stop the flow and without damaging it?

I use some large surgical forceps.

 > carb adjustments are too big to do with the trim screw and I need to go in
 > with a carb tool?  Front one was continually white- or was it yellow??
 > couldn't really tell.  And back one was pale blue with white or yellow
 > flashes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "trim screw".

Sounds like the front carb is way out,and the back one is about right, except
I haven't read the ColourTune instrucitons in a long while.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center