Re: First tune up update <951107231243_100854187@mail02.mail

To: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: First tune up update <951107231243_100854187@mail02.mail.aol.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 07:47:59 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, streeter@sanders.com
Grace writes:

> Question #1- When setting points, is there a simpler way to get rubbing block
> on the peak of the cam?  Must have "bumped"  the starter 100 times and was
> about to give up when miraculously it stopped where it was supposed to--
> maybe one of you sent up a prayer for me at that moment!

One good way to do this is to put the car into 4th gear, remove the parking
brake, and push the car forward (or backward) until the cam is where you
want it.  This same technique can be used for nearly any maintenance where
the crank/pistons/valves/etc. need to be at a specific position.

> Question #2:  Still want to clean the filter inside the fuel pump and since
> it was a bit higher I thought that maybe I still wouldn't need to clamp off
> that hose, but as I began to undo the nut on top, you know what began to flow
> from the top--- so what do you use to clamp off that little hose tight enough
> to stop the flow and without damaging it?

I generally place a golf tee, or an appropriately sized wooden dowel that
has had the end sharpened in a pencil sharpener in the small hoses to plug
up the end.  The hose clamp can then be tightened around the dowel to
keep the plug from popping out while working on whatever the hose had
been connected to.

> My carburetor attempts were a pretty complete wash out- Uni-Syn wouldn't even
> register once I got the RPMs down to where they needed to be.

The UniSyn can be adjusted by turning the top hemisphere on the screw, to
move it nearer to (or farther from) the baseplate.  At lower RPMs, there is
less engine vacuum, so the top portion of the UniSyn needs to be adjusted
to reduce the size of the air opening through the UniSyn.  It should be
adjusted so that the ball floats roughly in the center of the tube on the
first carb.  It can then be moved to the second carb to check there.

I've got a good explanation of this somewhere; I'll try to find it and post
it...

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631