Re: $1500 TR6 <815804686.AA22482@scala.scala.com>

To: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Subject: Re: $1500 TR6 <815804686.AA22482@scala.scala.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 08:05:53 PST
>>>"Randell Jesup" said:
 > >$1500 for a running TR-6 project car sounds like a pretty good deal here in
 > >Toledo.
 >      A pretty good deal (not super-fantastic, but good) just about anywhere.
 > I paid ~$2K for mine in '88,

I paid $1000 for Sybil in, oh, 87 or so.  She wasn't running at the time,
either.  So $1500 for a running car sounds excellent to me.

As for how far $2000 will go, I just this year painted Sybil, put in new seats,
new top, new carpets and pads and new interior panels.

I bought the whole mess from TRF (catapulting me into the "top 10% customers"
temporarily).  I spent just about $2000 on it all, not counting the paint.

You can save quite a bit on that by shopping around, but I chose TRF because
I trust them, and their stuff has been high quality in the past.

Sybil feels like a new car now!  With the new panels and carpets, she is much
quieter.  Since I fixed the broken suspension bracket (which envolved new
springs, new Nylatron bushings all round, new grade 8 hardware and racing
Aeriquip-style brake hoses -- I have shipwrights disease bad) the bizare
thumping is gone.  It's almost like a Real Car(tm)!  I may want a radio
after all.

So my advice to the new TR6 owner is take your time, keep it running, be
patient: it **IS** worth the time and effort.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center