Re: GT6 Smog checked

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us
Subject: Re: GT6 Smog checked
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 95 09:30:00 PST
Text item:

A simple solution: Get your gas level to about a 1/4 of a tank and dump in a
gallon of denatured alchohol which will give you a mixture of about 15-20%.
The car will pass with flying colors.  I did this last year on my GT6, the HC
level was 120 and the CO was about 1.25%.  The guy couldn't understand why
the readings were so low for a car that old but it passed the test first try.

Mike

Thanks to all those who gave me advise on how/where I could get a smog check
in my area of California.

You may recall that I am in the process of reworking a GT6 that has been in
a field for 8 years.

I did choose a small, local, garage.   The '72 GT6 did of course fail its
first (and second) test.   It seems that tunning a car for the best
proformance and mileage is not at all the same as setting it up to get under
5% CO and 400 PPM HC.

Those are the figures for my 72.    The state only requires this car to be
tested at 800 RPM.     No 2500 RPM test as with newer cars.

Well with many changes to the carb needles and PVC system the mechanic was
able to ballance the system for a passing score (4.87% and 378 PPM).

I did have to fill his till to the tune of $129.00.   But that is not really
too bad for about 3 hours of working time in his shop and the CA certificate.

Now it is off to the DMV to process the paper work.   Wish me luck there.
Tom Howard

72 GT6
( and various bits of USA iron)

Text item: External Message Header