Re: Fuel injected TR's?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel injected TR's?
From: gbott@yarrow.wt.com.au (Geoff Bott)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 21:08:18 +0800
>I was reading a book on collector cars the other day.  It said that Euro-spec
>TR6's had fuel injection, while U.S.-spec cars got carbs, largely due to the
>increased cost of FI.  They also quoted 140hp from the FI systems.
>
>While posts about carb problems and tuning are common, I don't remember posts
>about FI on TR6's.  Did this author have his facts wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Sean Johnson

As already stated in anumber of other replies to these questions, the TR5
and TR6 were released in the US as carburetted versions only. Fuel
injection was omitted because of emission control regulations in the US.
The non-FI TR5 wa called the TR250. Interestingly, there is a RHD TR250
currently advertised in Hemmings. Apparently, the car is one of two which
was used for emissions testing in the US at the time!

The TR6 in the US was also non-FI. However, compression ratios varied from
9:1 to 8.5:1, a consequence of ongoing requirements for more stringent
emission controls. The FI versions are appreciably more powerful. It is not
uncommon to squeeze 150 bhp from a FI TR6, particularly if a 'lumpier' cam
is fitted.

FI TR5s and 6s were sold in Australia as well as Britain.

Geoff Bott