Re: Fuel injected TR's?

To: dmitchel@ford.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel injected TR's?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:41:43 -0500
Cc: triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
The TR5 was the 6 cylinder fuel injected follow-on to the TR4 and 4A's (same
chassis with some body and interior styling changes) - but at that time the
U.S. EPA was beginning to tighten up on pollution.  The TR5 could not meet
the new emission criteria and so could not be imported into the States.  What
Triumph did was to change the car to a carburetted version for export to the
U.S.  They needed a name for it and came up with TR250.(either 1/2 of 5
without the decimal or the engine displacement in liters).  I believe they
put the stripes across the hood to sweeten the deal.  (No offense but my wife
calls the 250  a "tarted-up TR4" - sense of humour required for all the
ramifications of stripes and more speed from the 6 cylinder).

Don't know if Triumph ever did get a PI system that would meet U.S. specs.
 The specs kept getting tighter and tighter and the problem could have been
that the Triumph engineers said "Why bother-- just put in normally aspirated
petrol systems" (read carburetors).  Hope that helps.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (Original Owner)